2:00 - 4:00 pm
Venue: Lecture Room 3
Mary Ann Tuli, Peter McQuilton, Nicole Vasilevsky
Invited speaker: Saher Ahmed (Sanger)
The internet and the ease of global travel has enabled the workplace and the communities they serve to be extremely diverse. We believe this can only be a positive thing, but ensuring employers and employees embrace Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) is a challenge and one to which we must give a high priority.
We hope this workshop will include some lively discussion around the important issues of EDI in the workplace.
It will allow delegates to share their experiences, to discuss whether changes need to be made and if so, share ideas for how those changes can be implemented
We will first give a short introduction on what the terms Equality, Diversity and Inclusion mean.
Our invited speaker, Dr Saher Ahmed, will then describe the practical steps Genome Research Limited (which includes The Sanger Institute and Connecting Science) have implemented to help address and work towards EDI, working towards an equitable and inclusive working environment.
This will be followed by a breakout session to allow for more in-depth discussion. Topics can include issues such as:
- How can equality and multiculturalism be promoted in the workplace?
- The gender pay gap. Does it exist in Biocuration? How do we know?
- How does Biocuration present itself to the outside world?
- What policies exist in your workplace (are they well publicised, are they implemented and issues resolved)?
- On a personal level have you been impacted by EDI issues?
- Parental leave and career breaks.
- EDI and recruitment.
- [relevant to all the above] How have things changed during your career?